Why Get a License?
- Legally take on jobs over $500, make legally enforceable contracts and protect yourself against lawsuits.
- Advertise as a licensed contractor in newspapers, trade journals and social media.
- Bid on state and local government projects and on projects financed by banks, S&Ls, and insurance companies.
- Get building permits, insurance, bank loans and discounts from supply houses.
- Join builders exchanges and contractors associations, which offer job lists, networking and group insurance rates.
- You won’t risk penalties, prosecution, jail or nonpayment for contracting without a license.
- You will have mechanics lien, stop notice, and bond rights to make sure you get paid.
What Do I Need to Do to Get Licensed?
- You need to send a completed application to the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) showing at least 4 years of experience in your trade within the last 10 years.
- You must have your fingerprints taken at a Livescan facility before your exams, and pass a background check.
- You must pass two exams at a state testing site, one on your trade and one on construction law. You will take these exams on the computer-assisted testing (CAT) system. No prior experience with computers is necessary–the test monitor guides all test-takers through a short exercise to help you feel at ease with the computer. You will have up to 3-1/2 hours for each exam, although most CLC applicants only need a couple of hours for each exam.
- For what to do after you pass your exams click here and read WHAT IS THE FINAL STEP TO THE PROCESS?
Why is CLC the Best School for You?
- CLC helps prepares your application to the CSLB. We help take care of the red tape for you.
- CLC offers a wide variety of materials to help you pass your exams: law & trade manuals written in plain English, DVDs and lectures by lawyers and contractors, and up-to-date practice exams.
- CLC gives you more than any other school. We give you an education! Many contractors lose thousands of dollars, or even fail, because they are not familiar with basic laws and business principles. Our courses aren’t just about passing the License Board’s exams. We go beyond the exams and teach you business management, construction law, and your trade to show you how to protect yourself, and otherwise teach you how to succeed in your business.
- You will receive individual attention from a professional, full-time staff, and have experienced contractors and researchers on call to answer your law and trade questions.
Getting your contractors license yourself can be complicated and time-consuming. Our friendly, helpful staff makes the process simple and straightforward. Give us a call today at 707.578.8877.